Female Pilot Interview - Colleen F.
1. When did you know you wanted to become a pilot?
I knew I wanted to be a pilot when I was 17 and got to go on my first practice flight. I was looking into college majors and decided that was the one for me!
2. What is your favorite part of flying?
My favorite part of flying is being able to travel all over the world and experience new places and people.
3. What obstacles have you faced in your flight training?
I've faced a lot of obstacles in my flight training, ranging from questioning if I could really be a pilot to not passing checkrides on the first try. There are even simple obstacles like not being tall enough for the airplanes I fly, make sure to bring a ladder and seat pad!
4. Who or what is your biggest inspiration?
My biggest inspiration is my dad. He's been flying for 35 years now and it's amazing to think I could be in his shoes one day.
5. What is your favorite memory of flying?
My favorite memory of flying is my first solo. I was absolutely terrified and the feeling of relief and confidence stepping out of that plane knowing I could really do it on my own was priceless.
6. What advice would you give to other women interested in aviation?
I would tell them to just try it! It's crazy how many girls don't think aviation is an option for them and I want to spread it to as many women as possible!
7. What are your future plans and goals in aviation?
I'm currently in CFI training and want to teach for a while building my hours then I plan to go to work at an airline.
8. Besides aviation, what are some other interests and hobbies?
My favorite thing to do at school is going to sporting events! I love cheering on my team and really getting into the game. I am involved in my school's chapter of Women in aviation and I'm in the Marketing and Fundraising position. I'm also in Kappa Delta sorority and love going to philanthropy events and doing community service.
9. What's something most people don't know about you?
Most people don't know that I'm the youngest of four kids and the third pilot in my family! Pretty crazy how much we all love aviation!